cosa fare con le mele vecchie
What to Do with Old Apples
If you find yourself with a surplus of old apples that are past their prime, don’t throw them away just yet. There are several creative ways you can make use of these aging fruits instead of letting them go to waste.
1. Make applesauce: Applesauce is a versatile and delicious option for using up old apples. Simply peel, core, and chop the apples, then cook them down with a bit of water and your favorite spices (such as cinnamon or nutmeg) until they become soft and mushy. You can leave it chunky or blend it for a smoother consistency.
2. Bake apple desserts: Old apples are perfect for baking into pies, crisps, and cakes. The natural sweetness of the apples will add flavor and moisture to your baked goods. Consider making an apple crumble, apple pie, or an apple upside-down cake for a delicious treat.
3. Make homemade apple cider: Transform your old apples into a refreshing beverage by making homemade apple cider. Core and chop the apples, then simmer them in water with spices like cloves and cinnamon. After a few hours, strain the mixture and enjoy a warm cup of spiced apple cider.
- Create apple chips: Slice the apples thinly and bake them until they become crispy. These homemade apple chips make a healthy and guilt-free snack.
- Try savory dishes: Apples can be used in savory recipes as well. Consider adding them to salads, soups, or even roasting them alongside meats for added flavor.
- Donate to local farms: If you have a large quantity of old apples, consider reaching out to local farms or animal sanctuaries. They may be happy to take them off your hands to feed their animals or use them for compost.
By getting creative with your old apples, you can reduce food waste and enjoy a variety of delicious dishes. So next time you have a surplus of aging apples, give these ideas a try and make the most of this versatile fruit.